Friday, July 31, 2009

To teach business/ finance at the university level how important is the school you earned the PHD from?

I'm thinking of changing of careers to univeristy professor. I have a masters degree in finance from Golden Gate university. I have an undergraduate degree from a UC. I was thinking of trying for a PHD. How important is the school I earn the PHD from in regards to finding positions? For example if I went through an accredited but online based PHD program like would that still afford me the similar opportunities? I like the convenience of online work. I guess I'm basically asking if any accredited PHD program will do the trick or if it is only highly regarded insitutions are that marketable? I'm thinking of positions with cal state schools or similar schools.

To teach business/ finance at the university level how important is the school you earned the PHD from?
Where you get your PhD is of the utmost importance. It's absolutely vital. To have the best chance of employment, you want to go to the best reputed program that you can get into. An online PhD will not get you a job at a reputable university, not as a professor.





And you want to apply to the best programs in your particular field, regardless of the reputation of the overall university. This applies to all PhDs, not just business.





To get the best view of this, start by trolling the websites for the universities where you think you may want to work. Notice where their faculty obtained their PhDs, and in what fields. That'll give you an inkling.





Then move on. Scan the faculty pages at the top 20-30 schools in your subject area and check where they obtained their PhDs.





The nice thing about getting a PhD in a business field is that it'll probably be free. You usually get a stipend to cover your tuition.
Reply:I have met a couple of assistant professors (not tenured) who got their doctorate degrees from online schools, so yes, it is possible for you to get a job offer with a phd from an online university. However, these professors had tons of work experience in their teaching fields. I believe that where you go to school does matter, but even more important is your standing in your field - how much research you have conducted, your mentors, your publications, your seminars, your dissertation and any teaching experience you may have under your belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment