Monday, August 3, 2009

What is the best way to get a job in Foreign Service? Would my finance major be of any use?

I am studying in my junior year at the university for a Finance degree. My dream job is to be a consul in a US embassy abroad but I think that it is hard to get a job there. I do speak fluent Russian and some French and some Turkish. Ideally I should be studying for a degree in international relations or Eastern European Studies or something of the sort but since I think it's next to impossible to get my dream job I went into Finance. This semester I am failing my Math class.





Does anyone know anything about Foreign Service and how real it would be for someone like me to get a job at an embassy? Thanks a lot.

What is the best way to get a job in Foreign Service? Would my finance major be of any use?
The State Department Web site has some great information: http://careers.state.gov/officer/join/in...





Here's some advice based on my experience:





1. Do well in school. It reflects how seriously you achieve your personal goals.


2. Get some real-world experience


3. Read up on foreign affaird


4. Study for and pass the Foreign Service Written Examination


5. Prepare for the Oral Exam (go on a lot of job interviews)
Reply:I second Shanan's answer. I tried for the Foreign Service but failed on the Written, and didn't pursue it after that. I also did an internship at the consulate in Hamburg, Germany and I remember one of the officers telling me that the best way to get into the Service is through consular work. If your ambition is to become an ambassador, be prepared to do some tough tours. Good luck! Don't give up on your dream!


No comments:

Post a Comment