Monday, August 3, 2009

How and why is the finance officer so important to an organization?

I am the finance officer of my company.. but yet i do not understand why people treat me with such respect (seniority).. in fact, i think i am just the gatekeeper of money.. nothing great...

How and why is the finance officer so important to an organization?
Then you are not doing your job. I have 40 years in accounting and most as Controller. I have never considered myself as a gatekeeper of money. You do have some power over who gets paid and who doesn't and have some power in the eyes of vendors and purchasing. But you job is as an adviser using financial information to tell where the company has been, what it is doing now and where the trends say it is going in the future. Without that information, no other manager can do their job. (Plus you are the easy scapegoat when it doesn't work.)


No comments:

Post a Comment