Monday, August 3, 2009

How do I become involved in a sports finance job?

Currently I will be entering my junior year in the Business school at the University of Illinois majoring in Finance, my GPA is 3.7 and I am doing an internship with Smith Barney in Chicago as of now; however, I am becoming worried this line of work isn't for me, simply because I am not necessarily passionate about doing financial reports over and over again for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I am very passionate and knowledgable with sports and have a feeling Sports Finance would be perfect for me. Wondering if anyone could fill me in on how realistic a job in this area would be....also, how I would go about finding such a job? I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion. Thanks.

How do I become involved in a sports finance job?
Hi...Majoring in Finance is great!!! My suggestion would be getting on the varies major sports sites such as NFL, NHL, and see if they are looking for interns. With you graduating next year, they would love to have you. My brother is currently interning with both the Lightening and the Bucs in Tampa and he loves it. He indicates that teams will hire interns first, before they look on the outside, plus the fact that you get to go to all of the home games for free, meet the players..etc. Congrats on realizing early that your not passionate about what your doing, some people way to late. I hope this helps and good luck to you. OBTW...my brother got hired by the Lightening in their public relations department when he graduates college, which will be in September.


No comments:

Post a Comment