Monday, April 20, 2009

Is a degree majoring in finance and accounting to common?




I am at the end of my first year of uni majoring in finance and accounting. I plan on either working at a Big 4 firm or maybe investment banking.





Is this an appropriate course to keep these two career options open?





And this seems like a fairly common combination to have, what can I do to distinguish myself from other graduates? I thought I might try to do some ultra marathons, is this the kind of thing that looks good on a CV?

Is a degree majoring in finance and accounting to common?
I think that you have to decide on one path or the other. I think that investment banking is a riskier profession, but the chance that you can get rich quick is greater, but you also will probably work longer hours in investment banking than accounting. Accounting is probably more stable, and also possibly not as exciting, but you probably won%26#039;t work as many hours as you would in investment banking. To be honest, although it is common to get a double major in Accounting and Finance, I don%26#039;t think it will do that much good when trying to get a job. In fact, it may make you appear indecisive. The key to getting a job is you have to be sure that you want a particular job, and you have to have a reason why that job seems appealing to you. Recruiters like that kind of stuff. In response to your question about distinguishing yourself, to be quite frank with you, I don%26#039;t think large firms want someone who stands out for a recent grad new hire. They want someone who fits the mold and is ready to put in the time necessary to get the job done.





In summary, I say, pick which career you want, get the degree that will get you the job and then once you land the job, perform well on the job. It%26#039;s a long-term thing I guess. By the way, the stuff you learn in school really doesn%26#039;t help all that much once you start working. You might use like 15% of what you learned in college. And learning something in a classroom is completely different from real-life application.
Reply:Firstly, why do you want to take the path of investment banking? The reason %26amp; purpose will sustain you throughout your career. That also gives you focus %26amp; commitment towards your career.


If you want to distinguish yourself from other graduates, ask yourself, what is different about you? What can you offer that others can%26#039;t? There%26#039;s no right or wrong answer. It all comes down to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment